Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Vegetarian: Rice and Beans Stew
Rice and Beans Veggie Stew
(makes 2 servings)
(about 335 per serving, depending on rice)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
6 baby carrots, chopped
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 brussel sprouts, ends cut off, sprouts quartered
1 cup beans (I used red kidney)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 cup bay leaf
1 cup cooked rice, or quinoa (I used Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice mix )
1. Heat saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Saute onions, celery, carrots, and sprouts until golden brown.
2. Add broth to remove all browned bits. Pour entire mixture into a sauce pan. (I actually left it in the saute pan, but if you double the recipe, use the sauce pan or larger pot).
3. Add water, beans, and bay leaf.
4. Bring to a boil. Then simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
5. Add cooked rice. Heat just until rice is warm.