Thursday, January 27, 2011
Chicken: Pizza with Peach BBQ
Local readers will completely understand when I repeat... I'm sick of winter. The piles of snow have literally made it over my head, and my husband's head. We're talking piles over 6 feet. So I figured I'd make something that reminds me of summer. Green trees, blue skies, the smell of charcoal grills and fresh cut grass. Pizza, chicken, and a sweet BBQ sauce. Of course, peaches are not exactly in season right now. I had to improvise.
Chicken Pizza with Peach BBQ
(makes 2 servings)
(roughly 330+ calories depending on cheese)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Newman's Own All-Natural Peach Salsa (or whatever all natural brand you fancy)
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1. Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan.
2. Heat on medium flame for about 3 - 5 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly.
2 Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Flour pita breads
1/2 cup Peach BBQ Sauce
8 oz shredded chicken, a little less than two cups
some red onion, thinly slices
2 oz cheese, shredded or sliced (I used 2 Mini Baby Bel's because that's all I had on hand - 50 calories each, can't beat it)
1. Layer ingredients in order listed above. Spread the sauce as close to the edge of the pizza as possible.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes.
3. Turn broiler on high for about 2 minutes to get the cheese brown and bubbly.
Note: This can't be cooked like your standard pizza because the pita bread is already full cooked, is thinner than normal crust, and will burn if you put it in a 500 degree oven. Keep a close eye while the broiler is on.