Sunday, January 2, 2011

Breakfast Pizza

I have this little Hawai'ian cookbook (see below) that we found on our honeymoon, and I have yet to make any recipes from it. So I figured what better time, than the dead of winter, to crack open a tropical recipe? Of course, they've been modified to account for seasonal availabilities. I made a breakfast pizza and a little fruit salad.


Breakfast Pizza:
(2 servings)
This one is modified from it's original recipe in the book. It basically doubled my recipe and kept the yolk. Whatever floats your boat.

If you've never had Naan before, it's usually with the wraps or bread. It's kinda like flat-bread. I used Nature's Promise Traditional pasta sauce. I like it because I don't have fresh tomatoes to make homemade sauce, and this is pretty close without being ridiculously expensive. No complicated flavors. Just sweet yummy tomatoes with a few spices. And it's organic, bonus.

Also - This is a cool recipe for a brunch. Really easy to make a bunch of these at once. Cut them in half or quarters and throw them on the buffet line. It's a nice punch of color in winter too.

1 Naan
EVOO
2 tbsp marinara sauce
2 sprinkle parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
1/2 cup arugula
salt & pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

1. Brush the bottom side of the Naan with a little bit of EVOO (olive oil) (or cooking spray, whatever you have at hand). Cut it in half.

2. Place on cooking sheet. (I line the sheet with tin foil for easy cleaning).

3. Layer marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and egg whites (yup just drop it right on top of the sauce), one on each Naan half.

4. Bake for about 12 minutes, until the eggs are cooked.

5. Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt & pepper, top with arugula.

Enjoy!


For the fruit salad I had actually purchased mangos... big mistake. They didn't look, feel, or smell great. But I thought I'd take a chance. It was terrible. Lessons learned: If it doesn't look, feel, and smell great... don't buy it! Duh.





Fruit Salad:
(2 servings)
1 Ripe pear
1 Ripe banana
splash OJ

1. So simple. Make sure your pears have been sitting out a few days to get nice and soft and sweet. Chop it up into bitesized bits.

2. Peel and slice a banana.

3. Splash a bit of orange juice to keep the fruit from browning.

4. Mix and Enjoy your winter fruit salad!



PS - The cookbook that I got this idea from is called "A Dash of Aloha; Healthy Hawai'i Cuisine and Lifestyle"

No comments:

Post a Comment