Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vegetarian: Butternut Squash Lasagna (Gluten-Free Option)

This recipe was inspired by my mom-in-law and a newly gluten-free friend. I went over my in-laws house one night a few months ago to give their pup a pedicure. While I was there, mom-in-law was cooking dinner and was substituting butternut squash for half the ricotta cheese!! What a smart and delicious way to make the lasagna more flavorful and healthy. Then a few weeks later, we had our Christmas party. I wanted to be sure I had dinner options for everyone, so vegetarian and gluten-free were on the menu. Done and Done!! I did some research and found the best gluten-free pasta to swap for the regular stuff. And voila! Delicious gluten-free and vegetarian meal.

The photo shows and the recipe uses regular pasta. If you want to go gluten-free I suggest Tinkada Lasagna Noodles. Follow the directions on the box. They taste like the real deal, and I can't tell any difference in texture. Enjoy!




Butternut Squash Lasagna
(makes 6 servings)
(about 350 calories per serving)

1/2 pound lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
1 butternut squash (20oz package) (yields 2 cups when mashed)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cloves roasted garlic
1 cup spaghetti sauce (I used organic store brand - lower sodium)
1/2 cup 2% greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1. Boil water in a large sauce pan. Chop the squash into similarly sized chunks. Boil squash about 20 minutes or until very soft. Drain. Let it sit for a minute to be sure there's no excess liquid.

2. Chop roasted garlic. Add garlic, squash, and eggs to a mixing bowl. Mash the squash and mix in the garlic and eggs. Set aside.

3. Mix spaghetti sauce and greek yogurt. Set aside.

4. Boil noodles according to instructions. Use the lower end of the time range. I do this last on purpose. That way the noodles aren't sitting in hot water, or drying out.

5. Spray 9x13 pan. Layer the following: 1/2 cup sauce mixture, 3 noodles, 1 cup squash mixture, 3 noodles, 1/2 cup sauce mixture, 1 cup squash mixture, 3 noodles, 1/2 sauce mixture, top with slice mozz.

6. Bake at 350 degrees F, for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

7. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love it... I love cheese, but cheese doesn't love me, this is a great way to lighten up one of my fav. winter dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that's rough. I love cheese too, but am lactose-intolerant so I have to be careful which ones I eat. Hopefully you can enjoy this one without too much trouble!

    ReplyDelete