There's lots of different kinds of pita breads out there. I found one that's delicious and nutritious (and only 60 calories per pita!). Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat pitas. Sounds like it should taste like and have similar texture to cardboard, but it's quite soft and tastes great. The ideas of things to make with pita bread are just endless. Last night we watched a movie and were craving chips. Hubby wanted something salty, and I wanted something sweet. Neither wanted oily, greasy, deep-fried chips. Don't be fooled by the pita chips you can buy in the grocery store. Compare the label to regular chips. They're all deep-fried or are dipped in oil before baking, so they are still about 130+ calories for a handful.
(makes 1 serving)
(60 -70 calories per serving)
1. Cut a pita bread in half the skinny way. You should end up with two circles.
2. Then cut each circle into 8 triangles (should have 16 total triangles).
3. Top with whatever spices suit your mood. (see below)
4. Place on a tin-foil-lined cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Bake for about 4 -5 minutes at 350 degrees
If you're in the mood for sweets, try 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar and a dash of cinnamon. (the sugar adds about 10 calories)
If you're in the mood for savory try:
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of italian seasoning, or
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning, or
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, or
keep it simple and go with salt and pepper.