Ever go to Whole Foods' cold buffet bar? They always have these amazing concoctions. It seems like someone rummaged through the pantry leftovers and threw random things together, but it's always amazing.
I tried to recreate this grain and veggie salad. It's so hearty but also refreshing on a hot summer day.
NOTE: I made this in the AM before the heat kicked in, and served it cold.
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup wild rice
1/2 cup barley
4 cups water
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 medium carrot (diced)
1 long green pepper (diced)
1 large onion (diced)
1/2 tbs EVOO
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1. Cook brown rice separate. Rinse the rice in a strainer. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup brown rice. Simmer 20 - 25 minutes. As soon as it is done, remove from heat and strain any remaining liquid.
2. Cook wild rice and barley together. Rinse in a strainer. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add 1/2 cup wild rice and 1/2 cup barley. Simmer 35 - 40 minutes. As soon as it is done, remove from heat and strain any remaining liquid.
NOTE: Package instructions will tell you to cook it much longer. I like the rice to be pretty firm to give a better texture. Cooking to package instructions will give you softer rice, but it tends to be kinda goopy. Yuck. Towards the end of the cooking time just keep an eye on it and taste test so you get it to your liking.
3. Dice and mince veggies.
4. Heat EVOO in saute pan. Add diced onions and cook 3 minutes to soften and slightly brown.
5. Add peppers, and carrots. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes to soften.
6. Add minced garlic. Stir and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
7. Mix the three types of rice/grains, all veggies, and soy sauce.
8. Serve warm, or put it in tupperware and refrigerate until later.